Chocolate Cherry Stack Cake
Try this decadent dessert recipe that features the delicious blend of chocolate and cherries. Treat yourself tonight!
- CHERRY FROSTING:
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 recipe Cherry or Chocolate Frosting (see recipe below)
- 1 recipe Chocolate-Dipped Cherries (see recipe below) (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 8 ounce carton sour cream
- 1 cup whipping cream (do not use ultra-pasteurized whipping cream)
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- CHOCOLATE DIPPED CHERRIES:
- 16 maraschino cherries with stems
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 6x2-inch round cake pans or springform pans. Mix 1 teaspoon each flour and cocoa powder; dust pans. Set pans aside.
In bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In large bowl with electric mixer beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sour cream and flour mixture. Pour batter in pans; spread evenly.
Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on rack.
Use serrated knife to horizontally cut cakes in half to make 4 layers total. Place bottom layer on plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat with layers. Place top layer on cake. Heap remaining frosting, swirling in peaks. Refrigerate. To serve, top with Chocolate-Dipped Cherries. Serves 8.
Cherry Frosting Directions:
In a chilled large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, sour cream, whipping cream, and cherry juice. Beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until fluffy.
Chocolate-Dipped Cherries Directions:
Drain cherries; pat dry with paper towels. In small microwave-safe bowl combine semisweet chocolate pieces and shortening. Cook on 50 percent power (medium) 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring once. Dip cherries in chocolate; place on waxed paper until set. Store, covered, up to 24 hours.
You'll also love
- Oreo Lasagna 4/5 (59 Votes)
- Sunny Spinach Pie 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Broccoli Salad 4.2/5 (45 Votes)
- apple bread pudding with warm... 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Lemon Cool Whip Cookies 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Paula Deen's Ooey Gooey Butter... 3.7/5 (157 Votes)
- Pineapple Carrot Coconut Cake 4.3/5 (34 Votes)