Crockpot Gingered Chickpea and Spicy Tomato Stew Recipe
This vegetarian stew has a lot going for it. Besides the ethereal smell and taste of this dish, it is dead simple to make. Sauté some onions and spices, toss them with some chickpeas, and let the crockpot do the rest of the work. From the Family Crockpot Applesauce to the Crockpot Chicken, Black Bean and Chipotle Soup, my hard-working slow cooker has earned its keep over the past couple of weeks.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed & drained, or 2 cups dried chickpeas, cooked & drained
- 2 cups (packed) fresh spinach leaves
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 430mins
Adapted from cookincanuck.com
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to brown.
Add garlic cloves, ginger, ground coriander, coriander seeds, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Spread the chickpeas in the bottom of a crockpot (slow cooker). Pour the tomato mixture over the chickpeas and stir well.
Cover the crockpot and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
Just before serving, stir in spinach. You could use any leafy green that appeals to you, such as Swiss chard or kale.
Serve as a side dish or over rice as an entrée.
You'll also love
- Oyster Mushrooms with Marinated... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Red Kuri and Apple Soup with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Maja Blanca with Corn and Cheese 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cucumber and Cannellini Bean Salad 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- TOMATO BARLEY SOUP 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cajun Black Bean Soup with Lime 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Tomato Artichoke Appetizers 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Chickpea & Chicken Coconut Green... 4.2/5 (18 Votes)