New England Clam Chowder
This creamy chowder uses canned clams for convenience. It’s a great soup year-round.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced into 1/4-inch pieces (reserve tender leaves)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) tub frozen clams
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from mrsrubytips.com
Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until golden about 2 minutes.
Add the onion and celery and sauté until softened, mixing often.
Add flour and stir to distribute evenly. Add the stock, juice from 2 cans of chopped clams (reserve clams), cream, wine, thyme, and potatoes and stir to combine.
Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring consistently. Once the mixture thickens, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until the potatoes are nice and tender.
Add clams and season to taste with salt and pepper; cook for another 2 minutes.
I use Maldon salt to season my finished dishes, which adds a restaurant style taste.
Make it Fresh: If you prefer to use fresh clams, you’ll need about 5 pounds. Bring clams and 3 cups of water to a boil in a large covered pot. Cook the clams until they open, about 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Remove clams from shells with a paring knife while holding over a bowl to catch juices. Reserve clam meat in a bowl, discarding shells. Mince clams; set aside. Pour clam juice and broth (the water used to cook the clams) slowly into a new bowl. Leave a couple of tablespoons of clam broth in the bottom of the bowl in case of sediment. Use stock in place of bottled clam juice.
Smoked Salmon: Follow the recipe, but add 8 ounces of smoked salmon to the pot just before serving.
You'll also love
- Mini Tuna Appetizer Cakes 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Asian Salmon Bowl with Lime Drizzle 4.4/5 (43 Votes)
- Crab Rangoons 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- CLAM HAM CHOWDER 2 LB 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- New England Clam Chowder 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken-Corn Chowder 4.6/5 (8 Votes)