King's Fish House BBQ Shrimp
- BARBECUE SPICE:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder plus
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup softened butter - (1 stick)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 10 large shrimp - (to 12)
- 1/4 cup Barbecue Spice (listed above)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 ounces Sherry
- 1 1/2 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons Herb Butter (listed above)
- 2 sourdough baguettes halves, and cut into 6" pieces
For the Barbecue Spice: Combine the salt, paprika, thyme, allspice, white pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and mustard in a small bowl. This will keep indefinitely in a small, tightly sealed container. (Makes 1 cup)
For the Herb Butter: Grind the butter, parsley, thyme and tarragon in a food processor and set aside.
For the Shrimp: Combine the shrimp and Barbecue Spice in a resealable plastic bag or bowl and set aside to marinate for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the garlic and shrimp. Toss quickly to cook evenly.
When the shrimp are just beginning to turn pink, about 2 minutes, add the Sherry and apple cider vinegar and cook, scraping up the brown bits. (Use caution as there may be a flare-up.) Add the tomato juice and reduce slightly. Add the lemon juice, chopped tomato and green onions and toss.
Remove from the heat and add the Herb Butter, swirling it into the sauce. Serve the bread alongside for dipping.
This recipe yields 2 to 4 servings.
Each of 4 servings: 531 calories; 1,108 mg sodium; 300 mg cholesterol; 23 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 45 grams carbohydrates; 36 grams protein; 2.91grams fiber.