No-Cream Clam Chowder
We used just two slices of smoked bacon, which adds rich flavor without a lot of extra fat; corn and carrots provide fiber and nutrients. We substituted 2% milk for heavy cream--the starch from the potatoes makes the soup extra creamy.
- 4 dozen clams in shells, scrubbed
- 2 slices smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, with leaves, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 large ear fresh corn, kernels removed, or 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a large skillet. Add clams, cover, and steam 5 to 7 minutes or until shells open; discard any that do not. Drain clams, reserving cooking liquid. Pour cooking liquid through a fine wire-mesh sieve into a bowl, and set aside.
2. Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in saucepan.
3. Sauté carrots, onion, and celery in hot drippings over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add reserved clam cooking liquid, clam juice, and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Meanwhile, shuck clams and coarsely chop the meat. Whisk together milk and flour in a small bowl; add to saucepan, and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. (Do not boil.) Add bacon and clams, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or just until heated through. Stir in parsley.
You'll also love
- Pizza Pasta in an InstaPot 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Laura Bush's Buttermilk Coconut... 3.9/5 (62 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Lemon Panko Shrimp 4.2/5 (27 Votes)
- Spinach Salad with Shrimp and Warm... 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Linguine With Clams and Red... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Manhattan Clam Chowder 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Manila Clam Chowder 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
Review this recipe