Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder
- 1 medium poblano chile
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper (i.e., cayenne)
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup cream, divided (3/4 cup / 1/4 cup)
- 1 (8 oz) russet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups water
- 2 TBS flour
- 1 cup milk (whole)
- 1 (8 oz) container crab meat
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat broiler
2. Place poblano chile on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 8 minutes on each side or until blackened. Place pepper in a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and chop.
3. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through red pepper) to pan; saute 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn; saute 2 minutes. Remove 3/4 cup corn mixture from pan. Combine 3/4 cup corn mixture and 3/4 cup cream in a blender; process until smooth. Add potato chunks to pan; saute 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups water, bring to boil. Cook 4 minutes or until potato is almost tender. Reduce heat to medium.
4. Combine remaining cream and flour in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return corn puree to pan. Stir in poblano, milk, and crab; bring to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings. 12 Weight Watchers points per serving.