Cornmeal Upside Down Coffee Cake
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- e serving.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in 1/ 4 cup of the Demerara sugar, along with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir constantly for 2 minutes or until the sugars completely dissolve. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans and raisins. Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly across the bottom. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cornmeal, flour, remaining Demerara sugar, baking powder, salt and the remaining butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the milk, egg and vanilla. Pulse several more times to blend well. Spoon the batter on top of the nut mixture in the bottom of the pan. Bake 40 minutes or until the
edges are brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Unmold the sides and invert onto a serving plate. Lift off the bottom of the pan. Cool to room temperature before serving.