Aromatic Butternut Squash Soup
This treatment of butternut squash brings out hidden flavors and texture. It includes a couple of unique ingredients that makes this soup dance in your mouth. If you have not used fresh ginger, try it in this recipe.
- 1 large butternut squash cut into one-inch cubes
- 1/2 of a large onion, small diced
- 3-4 T butter
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 1 T fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1/4 t each of cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg, black pepper.
- 1-2 cloves (optional)
- 1 eight-ounce package of cream cheese
Preparation time 60mins
In a large soup pot sauté the onions in the butter until translucent.
Add the chicken stock, ginger, and cubed squash. Boil about 20-25 minutes until tender.
Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add to the soup.
Puree the soup (in batches if necessary) in a blender or Cuisinart or using an immersion hand blender.
To serve, top with your favorite croutons or a sprinkle of finely chopped chives.