Irish Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes
This traditional recipe for beef stew and mashed potatoes will fill your home with comforting aromas and is perfect for cool weekend days.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chuck roast, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- heaping 1/3 cup frozen peas
- hot cooked mashed potatoes for serving.
Adapted from thecomfortofcooking.com
In a large pot or deep skillet set to medium-high heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add chuck roast and cook until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Add onions, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Cook another 5 minutes. Pour in beef broth. Cover and simmer 2 to 4 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender.
When ready to serve, remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, stir softened butter and flour together until smooth. Stir butter mixture into the stew. Add frozen peas. Once the gravy thickens slightly, it's done. Serve hot over mashed potatoes.