Braised Beef with vegs
Dinner in a pot
up to the cook what goes into this pot
- 2 to 2-1/2 lb. flank steak, rolled and tied
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 1 medium onion cut into 1/8
- 4 or 5 small potatoes cut into quarter size
- 1/4 lb. olives, pitted (calvestrano or like item)
- 1/4 lb. carrots peeled, small cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inches long
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon beef demi-glace (or like item)
- 1-1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- OTHER VEGS at cooks option (consider cook time when to add)
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 120mins
Preheat oven to 350F.
Season steak with salt and pepper. In a wide Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sear steak on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium and warm 2 tablespoon olive oil. Cook mushrooms for 8 minutes transfer to a bowl. Next add onions to pot cook turning once about 3 minutes per side.
Add mushrooms back to pot, add demi-glace and garlic to pot and cook 1 minute. Increase heat to high, add stock, and the rest of the veg's above - olives, potatoes, carrots, rosemary and thyme, and bring to a boil.
Place steak on top on veg's cover pot with foil or lid. Put in oven and cook 2 hours.
Transfer beef to carving board.
Simmer sauce over medium-high heat until thickened. Slice beef and serve.