Mom's Famous Garlic Cross Rib Roast
- 1 boneless cross rib roast - (5 to 7 lbs) see * Note
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 10 large garlic cloves crushed, minced
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 packet beef gravy mix - (0.87 oz)
- 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix
- 1 can golden mushroom soup - (10 oz)
* Note: A cross rib is a cut that is between the shoulder (sometimes known as the chuck) and rib of a the whole side of beef. You may have to ask your butcher for it if you do not find it in the meat section. This roast resembles a round roast but is surrounded about three quarters around with short ribs, which greatly assist with the flavor in this recipe. If you can't find a cross rib, use a boneless chuck roast, or a 3- to 4-inch thick top round roast and lay it in the roasting pan on top of some extra short ribs. Whatever you use, this recipe is a combination of braise and roast and makes for tender, moist roast beef, good hot or cold. While gravy packets can be found in various sizes, do not use one larger than what is called for here, or the roast may be too salty.
Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the meat in a shallow roasting pan.
Make a paste by mixing the mustard with the garlic, some pepper, the garlic powder, dry mustard, oil and paprika. Slather it over the top and sides of the roast, smearing well. Pour the water, wine, beef gravy mix and onion soup mix over the roast.
Cover the roast with foil. Roast it until the meat is fork-tender, basting it every so often, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the foil the last half hour of cooking.
Remove the meat and thinly slice. Add the golden mushroom soup to the roasting pan and stir it with the pan juices, mixing well. Pour some of this over meat, offering the remaining as a side gravy.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Each of 10 servings: 626 calories; 733 mg sodium; 126 mg cholesterol; 46 grams fat; 17 grams saturated fat; 7 grams carbohydrates; 36 grams protein; 1.10 grams fiber.
You'll also love
- Lamb Chop With A Cassoulet Of Pole... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kincaid's Dungeness Crab Dip 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spicy Grilled Steak With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Luna Park Asparagus Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Flank Steak With Garlic Butter 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe