Blackberry Walnut Cookie
It's a holiday party—you must have cookies. We double your pleasure by offering not one but two buttery, nutty shortbread rounds in each cookie. They sandwich tart berry jam under a drift of confectioners sugar.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled, and finely chopped
- 1/2 About 1/2 cup seedless blackberry or raspberry jam
- Garnish: confectioners sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
2. Blend together butter, sugars, vanilla, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl with a fork. Stir in flour and nuts (dough will be sticky).
3. Form level tablespoons of dough into balls (total of 40) and arrange 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased large baking sheets. Flatten balls to 1/3 inch thick using bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are golden, about 20 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
4. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam onto flat sides of 20 cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies.