Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
Moist, delicious turkey made in the slow cooker. Frees up the oven for your other holiday goodies.
- 1 (6-8 lb) bone-in frozen turkey breast, thawed in refrigerator
- Salt, pepper, and paprika
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter
Remove back and rib sections from breast and any excess skin. Rinse breast and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Spray skin lightly with cooking spray (I used olive oil spray).
Preheat a 6-qt slow cooker on HIGH (remove the cover first).
Heat a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Place the breast, skin side down, in the skillet and sear until the skin is browned, tilting and holding for 3-4 minutes for sides to brown. (Can add a tablespoon or two of butter if desired.)
NOTE--To keep the breast out of the juices as it cooks, place a small wire rack or 3-4 balls of aluminum foil inside the slow cooker to set the breast on.
Place browned breast, skin side up, on wire rack or foil balls in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH until thickest part reaches 165 degrees F. on a meat thermometer. Cook times will vary with slow cookers and size of breast. Do not lift the cover for the first 1 1/2 hours as too much heat will be lost. (Mine weighed 8 3/4 lbs. before the back and ribs were removed and it was done when I checked it in 2 1/4 hours.)
When done, carefully remove breast to a serving platter and tent loosely with foil to rest for a few minutes before carving.
((NOTE--If you prefer a crisp skin, when done remove breast from slow cooker to an oven safe dish and stick under preheated oven broiler for a few minutes, watching closely. (I did not broil mine.))
You'll also love
- Key Lime Pie Martini 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Pasta with shrimp and asparagus 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Grana Padano Pork Chop 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Ginger Beef and Ramen Noodle Soup 4.1/5 (30 Votes)
- Grill-Roasted Turkey 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Chestnut & Apricot-Stuffed Turkey... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Smoked Turkey Breast 5/5 (2 Votes)