Congee (fish, cantonese style, stove dutch oven pot)
see link for other kinds. I"m used to 'thick' version so this is what this recipe is based on.
This version is based on fresh grains not left over. Broth should not be used if you are watching purine content.
- 1 cup of rice (short to medium grain)
- 4 ounces of cubed fish (thawed cod or other firm meat)
- 8 cups of water or chicken broth (for added flavor + higher purine content)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from homemade-chinese-soups.com
1. rinse rice 3-4 times till water runs almost clear
2. boil water keep on high for 45 minutes, stir frequently till the grains are churning with the boil water
3. if you are sensitive to clumpy textures remove the skin that forms on top.
4. for 5-10 minutes cook the fish in soup till appropriately cooked