Chunky Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced crosswise
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Adapted from epicurious.com
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, fennel, and garlic and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stir in the sage and cook 1 minute more.
2. Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and stir. Pour in the broth and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the potatoes are fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
3. Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and stir to combine.
4. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve.