Lemon-filled coconut cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs yolks,beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flaked coconut
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour , baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before remoing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For filling ,in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
Stir in a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in lemon juice and butter. Cool to room temperture without stirring.
Place one cake on serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake'
For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, combined the sugar, egg whites, water and cream tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160 F. ABOUT 10 MINUTES
Transfer to a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Store in the refrigerator.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Stew 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Olive Nut Spread 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Watermelon and Blue Cheese Salad 4/5 (1 Votes)
- The Grape Leaf's Babronia 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Chops, Grilled with Garlic... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Auntie Ime's Fa’alifu taro... 3.8/5 (29 Votes)
- Lemon Chicken Romano 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Coconut Flan Pie 3.6/5 (24 Votes)