Vegan Whole Wheat Bourbon Banana Bread
Whole wheat pastry flour and sweet, ripe bananas balance out the brown sugar and bourbon to make this a great dessert or breakfast. If you’re not a fan of bourbon, try rum or apple brandy in its place. Also try mixing in ½ cup vegan chocolate chips for a yummy variation.
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
- 4 large (2 to 2 1/4 cups) bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups (242 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix in:
- 1 cup (134 grams) chopped pecans, toasted
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a large (9- by 4-inch) loaf pan.
Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients except for the pecans. Mix well.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture along with the pecans and gently mix the batter until all the flour is incorporated. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center, 50 to 60 minutes.