Chicken Pot Pie for Two
A golden brown crust envelopes a creamy filling of chicken, peas and mushrooms in this sexy and delicious Pot pie recipe for two.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 2 teaspoons 60 percent to 70 percent vegetable oil spread
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Ice water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3/4 cup chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Set aside 1 tablespoon of the whole wheat flour.
In a food processor combine the remaining whole wheat flour, the egg, vegetable oil spread, and baking powder. Cover and process just until combined. Add enough ice water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to make mixture that forms a loose dough and holds together when pinched. Remove dough from processor; knead dough a few times by hand and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing filling.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or just until softened. Sprinkle the reserved 1 tablespoon flour over vegetables; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
In a small bowl stir together thyme, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; set aside a small pinch of the thyme mixture. Add the remaining thyme mixture to the vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken, yogurt, peas, and parsley until combined.
Divide chicken mixture evenly between two 8-ounce ramekins or individual casserole dishes or two 10-ounce custard cups.*
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half until circle is just slightly larger than the circumference of a ramekin. Place dough circles on top of the filling in the ramekins; tuck edges under, pressing down slightly along each edge to secure. Make a few small slits or a 1/2-inch opening in the crust to allow for steam to escape.
Brush the egg white over crusts; sprinkle with the reserved pinch of seasoning mixture. Place ramekins on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
You'll also love
- Vegan Whole Wheat Bourbon Banana... 4.5/5 (88 Votes)
- Makeover Lemon Pound Cake 4.4/5 (70 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Over Lemon &... 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Ashley Christensen’s Fried... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken Enchiladas (Kraft) 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pound Cake 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Sue's Chicken Pot Pie with Puff... 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Rice-A-Roni Salad 3.7/5 (3 Votes)