Turkey Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Finding a healthy recipe the whole family will enjoy is always a tough call. This stuffed acorn recipe is perfect and works well with whatever you have on hand, chicken, pork or beef.
302 calories, 10g fat, 15 g protein
- 4 medium acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place squash in a shallow roasting pan, hollow side down; add 1/4 inch of hot water and halved tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, apple, onion and dried seasonings over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add spinach, thyme, salt and pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Carefully remove squash from roasting pan. Drain cooking liquid, reserving tomatoes. Return squash to pan, hollow side up.
Stir cheese, vinegar and reserved tomatoes into sausage mixture. Spoon into squash cavities. Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until heated through and squash is easily pierced with a fork.
You'll also love
- Easy Crockpot Black Bean Soup 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Tomato-Cheddar Soup 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Tomato Parmesan Chicken 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Japanese Beef Tataki 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Sausage & Potato Chowder 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Quick Rotini with Sausage and... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Cake 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Quick Turkey Chili 4.6/5 (8 Votes)