Picnic Lemon Chicken (adapted from Silver Palate's recipe)
- 2 chickens (2 to 2 1/2 pounds each), cut into quarters*
- 2 cups fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about 10 lemons)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable or corn oil
- 1/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 lemons, sliced paper thin
In a bowl or re-sealable plastic bag, combine chicken pieces and lemon juice. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Drain chicken thoroughly and pat dry. Fill a plastic bag with flour, salt, paprika, and pepper; shake well to mix. Put two (2) pieces of chicken into the bag at a time and shake, coating completely.
Heat vegetable or corn oil in large frying pan or cast-iron frying pan until hot and fry chicken pieces, a few at a time, until well browned and crisp. NOTE: This will take about 10 minutes per batch.
Arrange browned chicken in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Pour chicken stock around chicken pieces. Set a thin lemon slice on top of each piece of chicken. Bake chicken, uncovered, approximately 40 to 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (juices will run clear when cut with the tip of a knife).
Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter. May be served warm or cold.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Chili... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Chunky Monkey Morning Oats 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Lemon Brownies 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Katie Couric's Lemon Chicken 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Moroccan Lemon Chicken with Olives 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe