Pinto Bean & Andouille Sausage Stew
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, or canola oil
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, diced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1-3 teaspoons minced chile pepper, such as serrano or jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 large ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced or one undrained 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Pick over beans to remove any pebbles or broken beans and rinse under cold water. Place in a bowl, cover with 3 inches of cold water and soak for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Heat oil in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is almost crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and set aside in the refrigerator.
Add onions cook, stirring, over medium heat, until soft and lightly brown, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and chile pepper to taste; continue to cook, stirring, until the mixture is soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in paprika. Add tomatoes and cook until they release their juice, about 2 minutes.
Drain the beans. Stir the beans and 8 cups water into the pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Stir in the reserved sausage and bacon along with salt and pepper. Continue simmering, adding a little water if the beans are dry, until the beans are very soft and beginning to break down, about 30 minutes more. Stir in lime zest and juice.
You'll also love
- Paleo Blackberry Cobbler 4/5 (69 Votes)
- Blueberry Muffin Waffles 3.9/5 (80 Votes)
- Kelly's Baked Beans with Bacon &... 4.3/5 (42 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Brisket Recipe -... 3.8/5 (103 Votes)
- Ham & White Beans - Slow Cooker 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Homemade vegan sausage crumbles 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Spicy Sausage Pasta 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Creamy White Bean Hummus 4.7/5 (10 Votes)