Creamy White Bean Hummus
- 16 ounces dried cannellini beans, soaked in 6 cups water overnight (or you can use 4 16 ounce cans, rinsed, and omit bean cooking instructions below)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cannellini bean cooking water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Pita bread for serving
- 2 Tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- Smoked pimenton, for garnish
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 125mins
To cook beans: Place the cannellini beans into medium saucepan, cover with water, add a bay leaf, garlic and place on the stove over a medium-high heat. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until completely tender, about 1 to 2 hours. Discard the bay leaf and use a colander over a medium bowl; drain the beans reserving the cooking liquid. Run cold water over the beans until cool, about 1 minute.
To make hummus: Place the cooled beans, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and 1/3 cup olive oil into the bowl of the vitamix. Start processing the machine on low and gradually increase speed until the mixture is completely pureed, about 2 minutes. Add lemon zest, process until combined and season with salt and pepper to taste. If needed, use the cooking liquid a little at a time to adjust the texture to desired consistency.
To grill pita bread: Place grill pan on the stove over medium heat. When warm, add the pita bread and lightly grill until marks appear and the bread is warm, about 1 minute per side.
To serve: Transfer the hummus mixture to a small bowl, drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley and pimenton. Place onto a platter and arrange warm pita bread around the bowl and serve.