Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 cups plain panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 pounds chicken cutlets (about 10)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups grated mozzarella
- Finely grated Parmesan, for serving
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Prepare cutlets: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss panko, olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring twice, until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely. (Crush a few handfuls, to help crumbs adhere.) Whisk eggs in a bowl. Pat dry chicken cutlets; season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, tapping off excess. Dip in eggs; coat with panko, patting to adhere. Lay cutlets in layers on a baking sheet, with parchment in between each. Freeze 2 hours, then up to 1 month in resealable plastic bags.
Bake cutlets: Arrange on a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees, flipping once, until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. (If cutlets are not frozen, bake 8 to 10 minutes.)
Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches from heat source. Top each cutlet with basil leaves, sauce, and mozzarella, dividing evenly. Broil until cheese is melted, 2 minutes. Top with Parmesan and more basil; serve.