Italian-Style Mushroom And Beef Skillet Stew
- 1 pound flank steak
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound small white mushrooms
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper cut 1" squares
- 1 medium zucchini halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/2" thick
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings - (14 1/2 oz)
Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add steak; sauté just until well browned on both sides but no more than medium-rare inside, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to cutting board; let stand for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in the same skillet. Add mushrooms, pepper, zucchini and garlic; cook and stir until mushrooms begin to release their juices, about 3 minutes; stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are just tender, about 5 minutes.
Slice steak thinly on the diagonal and cut slices crosswise in halves; stir into vegetable mixture along with any juices from board; serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.