Straw Mushrooms With Beef
- 1/2 pound flank steak
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 bunch broccoli cut diagonally
- into thin strips
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced onion
- 1 carrot cut crosswise
- into thin slices
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 tablespoons water
- 15 ounces canned straw mushrooms* drained, rinsed
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store Mushroom, Shiitake
Cut the flank steak crosswise into very thin strips. In a mixing bowl, combine the sherry, soy sauce, sugar, and garlic. Add the meat and marinate for 20 minutes.
To prepare the sauce, add the cornstarch to the water and mix well. Add the oyster sauce and sugar and blend. Set aside.
To a large wok or skillet over moderate-high heat, add the oil. When very hot, add the meat and marinade. Cook and stir about 2 minutes, or until no longer pink. Do not overcook the meat. Remove the meat from the skillet and leave some of the juices.
Add the broccoli, onion, carrot, and peas and stir to coat with oil and juices. Stir in the 2 tablespoons water to create more steam and cover. Cook a few minutes until the vegetables are semi-cooked. Add the mushrooms, stir, and cover. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir the sauce and add to the wok, mixing until the liquid thickens. Return the meat to the wok, mixing all together. Serve over white rice.
This recipe yields 4 main course servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (703 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage,... 4.5/5 (165 Votes)