Three Mushroom-Watercress Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms cleaned, trimmed, and sliced - (abt 5 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms cleaned, stems
- removed and caps sliced - (abt 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons finely-chopped garlic
- 1 can ready-to-serve vegetable broth - (14 oz) (or chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped watercress
- 1/2 package enoki mushrooms - (3.5 oz) trimmed
In large saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, tomato sauce, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
Remove 1 cup soup mixture; place in blender or food processor; whirl until smooth; stir into remaining soup in saucepan. Simmer until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in watercress. Serve topped with enoki mushrooms.
This recipe yields 5 servings (about 5 cups).