Lemon Curd with Poppy Seeds
Good old lemon, with poppy seeds stirred in for crunch. Savor them poured into a tart crust, slathered onto buttered toast or scones, or spooned over fresh fruit.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (from about 2 1/2 lemons)
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
Adapted from gilttaste.com
1. In a double boiler or a stainless steel medium bowl set on top of a medium heavy-bottomed pot with 2 inches of simmering water, combine the lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, eggs, and salt. Stir constantly, with a whisk, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides, while the liquid thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 12 to 14 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until dissolved. Strain the curd through a fine-mesh sieve. Whisk in lemon zest. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd and chill completely. Stir in the poppy seeds when cold.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (287 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (230 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)