Orange Crunch Cake from the Bubble Room
This cake recipe makes an ideal birthday cake for citrus lovers! The crunchy layer adds an additional texture that makes it especially rich and succulent!
- FOR THE CRUNCH LAYER,
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- FOR THE CAKE,
- 1 Pillsbury Plus brand yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 eggs
- 1 ⁄3 cup oil
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 Pillsbury brand ready to spread vanilla frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Adapted from food.com
Combine the crunch layer ingredients together.
Divide the crunch layer mixture into half. Press each batch on the bottom of two greased and floured 8" or 9" pans.
Using a hand or electric mixer, mix cake ingredients at low speed in a large bowl until moistened. Beat 2 more minutes at high speed. Pour the cake batter into the two pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes.
Carefully remove the cake from pans and let them cool completely under room temperature.
In small bowl, mix frosting & topping. Fold in lemon and lime peels.
Place one layer, crunch side up, on a plate or a cake stand.
Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer, crunch side up. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.