Chicken Divan with Fresh Broccoli
You can serve this chicken dish with a simple arugula salad or with a side of rice.
- 1 large bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into 4 inch-long spears
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, diced
- 5 T all-pourpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup (you can substitute 1/2 cup well-chilled heavy cream)
- 5 T medium-dry sherry
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs. total), cooked and sliced thin
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. In a large saucepan of joining salted water, cook broccoli for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside, covered.
2. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat and add flour. Cook, stirring, for three minutes. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil. Cook on low, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until thick.
3. Add condensed cream of chicken (or mushroom) to mixture, along with the sherry and lemon juice to taste. If you use whipping cream, beat the cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, then add to flour mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange broccoli in a baking dish. Top with half the sauce. Stir 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese into the other half of the sauce. Arrange chicken on broccoli, pour remaining sauce over the top, and sprinkle mixture with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. You can finish it off under the broiler for about 1 minute until sauce is golden and bubbling.
You'll also love
- (Crockpot) Pineapple Salsa Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Vij Family Chicken Curry 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Tomato Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Parmesan Tuscan Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broccoli Scalloped Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broccoli Casarole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Velveeta Chicken Enchilada... 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe