Roasted Rosemary Potatoes With Shiitake, Caramelized Onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 pound fresh Shiitake mushroom caps cleaned, sliced (or Maitake mushrooms cleaned and coarsely chopped)
- 2 pounds russet (baking) potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese - (abt 4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, over moderate heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add onion and sugar. Cover and cook until onion is softened about 10 minutes. Remove cover and cook until onion slices are golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Scrape into bowl and set aside.
In same skillet, over moderate heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook mushrooms until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Scrape into bowl with onions.
In same skillet, toss potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Place skillet in the center of preheated oven and roast until potatoes are golden brown and tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven, spread evenly with mushroom and onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven. Cook until cheese is melted about 10 minutes longer.
Time saving tip: Onion and mushrooms may be cooked a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
These roasted potatoes remind me of the Swiss potato dish, rosti, which translates as "crunchy and golden" shredded potato pancakes. The layer of mushrooms and cheese enrich this homey potato dish.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (809 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)