Italian Mushroom Gravy
- 3 ounces dried Italian boletes* (porcini)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages cut into pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped fresh or dried rosemary, sage, oregano, or basil to taste
- 1 can tomato paste - (6 oz)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans tomato sauce - (8 oz ea)
* Alternate Mushrooms: Common Store mushroom, Shaggy Parasol Mushroom
Soak the mushrooms in warm water to cover for about 15 minutes, squeeze dry and finely mince them. Reserve the liquid.
In a large, heavy saucepan, sauté the beef and sausages until lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, mushrooms, and herbs. Mix the tomato paste with the wine. Add to the gravy along with the tomato sauce and the soaking liquid from the mushrooms. Simmer until thick, about 30 to 45 minutes.
This recipe yields about 5 cups.