PaPa's Blackberry Pie
From: Charles David Heise
- Pastry for 2-crust pie
- 2 pint boxes fresh blackberries (4 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1. On lightly floured surface, roll out half of pastry into an 11 inch circle. Use to line 9 inch pie plate; trim. Refrigerate, with rest of pastry, until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Wash berries gently in cold water; drain.
4. In large bowl, combine berries with lemon juice, mixing well.
5. Combine sugar, flour, and cloves. Add to berries, tossing lightly to combine.
6. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate, mounding high in center; dot with butter.
7. Roll out remaining pastry into an 11 inch circle. Make several slits near center, for steam vents; adjust over filling; trim.
8. Fold edge of top crust under bottom crust; press together. Crimp edge decoratively.
9. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until juices start to bubble up through steam vents and crust is golden-brown.
10. Cool partially on wire rack; serve warm.