Tomato and rice soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- One medium-size onion, finely chopped
- Two medium-size carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh fennel, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes, with their juices
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup short grain white rice, such as Arborio
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons Fresh basil leaves
Heat the oil in a heavy 4 quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, carrots, fennel, and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 min. stir in the tomatoes and stock and season with salt to taste. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover the saucepan, and simmer for 25 to 30 min. Stir in the rice and cook until tender, about 20 min. longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine the parsley and basil in a small bowl and garnish each serving with a teaspoon of the mixture.