To make it even creamier, use half-and-half in place of the milk.
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 12 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms $
- 1 cup chopped onion $
- 1 medium eggplant (12 oz.), cut into 1-in. cubes
- 2 About 2 tbsp. butter $
- 2 About 2 tbsp. olive oil $
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk $
- 1/4 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Cooking time 30mins
1. Cook noodles in a large pot as package directs. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large wide pot over high heat, cook mushrooms, onion, and eggplant in 2 tbsp. each butter and oil, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes, adding a little more oil if needed.
3. Stir in salt, pepper, and flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and milk, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Put sour cream and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in hot broth mixture 1/4 cup at a time, then return to pot. Spoon eggplant sauce over noodles and sprinkle with parsley