Key Lime Pie (Pepe's Cafe Recipe)
This version of the recipe appeared in Epicurious in February 2012. Nutritional info: Per serving: 606 calories; 36 g fat; 64 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber. Uh, yes, that 17 Weight Watchers points!
- FOR GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- 1-1/2 C graham cracker crumbs from about 12 (2-1/4 inch by 4-3/4 inch) crackers
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- FOR FILLING:
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C fresh or bottled Key lime juice
- FOR TOPPING:
- 1 C heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
Adapted from epicurious.com
1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
2. For the crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon. Drizzle with the melted butter and stir until well combined. Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until set and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Leave the oven on.
3. For the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a large mixing bowl with a whisk or hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. Add the lime juice and whisk until combined. Gently fold in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the mixture then add the remaining egg whites and fold until just evenly combined. Gently spread the mixture in the pre-baked crust and bake until just set in the center, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
(The pie can be baked and stored, covered, in the refrigerator, up to 3 days.)
5. When serving: In a medium bowl, combine the heavy cream and sugar and whisk until soft peaks form. Cut the pie into slices and top each with a dollop of whipped cream.