Pickled Vidalia Onions
- 4 cups of thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1-1/2 cups of apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of celery seed
- 2 teaspoons of dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of dill weed, optional
Halve onions and slice thin, about 1/4 inch thick. Place into a bowl and cover with ice water; let rest for 30 minutes. Drain, pat dry and pack the onions into a clean quart sized Mason jar.
Heat vinegar and sugar together until sugar is completely dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and let cool completely. Top onions with the dressing and refrigerate a minimum of 24 hours, or up to 3 or 4 days if possible, before using, as the flavor only improves as they sit. Keep refrigerated for about 4 months.
Use as an appetizer, on salads, sandwiches, hamburgers or hotdogs, serve over beans, greens or chop and add to a wide variety of recipes.