Make-Ahead Directions: Tortillas freeze well for up to 1 month. Stack them, separated by two layers of waxed paper, and place in a freezer bag and freeze. Thaw before using.
- 2 cups Masa Harina tortilla flour
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 22mins
Adapted from bhg.com
1. In a medium mixing bowl combine tortilla flour and water. Stir mixture together with your hands until dough is firm but moist (if necessary, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
3. Using a tortilla press or rolling pin, flatten each ball between 2 pieces of waxed paper into a 6-inch circle.
4. Carefully peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Place tortilla, paper side up, on a medium-hot, ungreased skillet or griddle. As tortilla begins to heat, carefully peel off remaining sheet of waxed paper. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until tortilla is dry and light brown (tortilla should still be soft). Wrap tortillas in foil if using immediately. Makes twelve 6-inch tortillas.