Spiced Crab Apples
My first attempt at old-time spiced crab apples... Pulled together this recipe through a mix of various other recipes...
- 4 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 (4 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole clove
- 1 T Mace
- 1 T Red food Coloring
- 8 cups washed, drained, and pricked once with a fork crabapples
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Combine sugar, water and vinegar in a large stainless or enamel saucpan.
Break up cinnamon and tie up with allspice and cloves in a large square of cheesecloth and add to pan.
Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
Add prepared crabapples and return pan to a boil, reduce heat and boil GENTLY for 5-10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit overnight.
Pack into clean hot jars to 3/4 inch from rim and add syrup to cover, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal according to directions
Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
You'll also love
- 50 Flavorful Popcorn Recipes 4/5 (28 Votes)
- Perfect Salmon 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon-Bourbon Apple Pie 3.6/5 (21 Votes)
- flounder oreganata 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spicy Shrimp and Cabbage Stir Fry 3.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Mongolian Shrimp Recipe 3.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Joe's Stone Crab Grilled Tomatoes 3.9/5 (8 Votes)