Meatballs & Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsps tomato paste
- 6 large leaves (around 3 tbsps) fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- a handful of fresh spinach
- 2 tbsps EVOO
- 2 tbsps water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsps heavy cream (optional)
- Meatballs (makes around 9)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Gently fry the mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil for 3 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, water and herbs.
Simmer over a medium-low heat for 20 minutes until it forms a thick sauce. If you are using cream, stir it in just before serving
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and form into small bowls about an inch thick.
If you have time, cover and chill them in the fridge for 30 minutes. If not then cook them straight away but be warned – chilling makes them hold together better.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, turning once so they brown on both sides.
Serve with sauce.