Baby Kale, Mozzarella, and Egg Bake
- 5 oz. mixed baby kale or chopped kale leaves (I used Earthbound Farm Ready-to-use Organic Mixed Baby Kales.)
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 1 1/2 cup low-fat grated mozzarella cheese (I use a mozzarella blend from Costco with 6 grams of fat in 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, but good. You can use any seasoning blend that tastes good with eggs instead of Spike.)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray an 8 1/2 inch by 12 inch glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the kale all at once, and stir just until the kale is wilted, about 1 minute for baby kale or 2-3 minutes for chopped kale. Transfer the kale to the casserole dish, spreading it around so all the bottom of the dish is covered. Layer the grated cheese and sliced onions on top of the kale.
Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (or other seasoning mix) and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. (I use only a tiny pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.) Pour the egg mixture over the kale/cheese combination, and then use a fork to gently "stir" so the eggs, kale, and cheese are evenly combined.
Bake about 30-35 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown. Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting. (The egg bake will settle down some as it cools.) Serve hot. This is good with light sour cream. I also like a little Green Tabasco Sauce sprinkled on the top.
This can be cut into individual servings to keep in the fridge and microwaved for a quick breakfast during the week. Don't microwave longer than 1-2 minutes or the eggs can get slightly rubbery.