Pumpkin and Split Pea Soup
- 1 pound yellow split peas
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound peeled, seeded and diced sugar pumpkin
- 1 pound salt beef, fat removed and diced
- 1 green chile pepper, chopped
- 3 dashes aromatic bitters
Rinse and pick over the yellow split peas and soak overnight in clear water.
Saute the onions in the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
Add the soaked split peas, chicken stock, pumpkin, salt beef, chili pepper and bitters.
Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the peas are soft.
Allow the soup to cool and then puree in a blender.
Adjust the seasoning and reheat and serve with a little nutmeg sprinkled on top.