Three variations of grilled asparagus.
o With garlic butter
o With chili-lime butter
o With orange-thyme butter
- GARLIC BUTTER
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced (about 1 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 1/2 lbs. thick asparagus spears, ends trimmed (at least 1/2 inch thick near the base)
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- Ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for cooking grate
- CHILI-LIME BUTTER: Substitute the following ingredients for garlic.
- 2/3 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp finely grated lime zest
- ORANGE-THYME BUTTER: Substitute the following ingredients for garlic.
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. finely chopped thyme leaves
1. Combine butter and garlic (or other ingredients) in small bowl. Brush asparagus with butter mixture, sprinkle with salt, and season with pepper to taste.
2. When grill is medium-hot, scrape grill grate clean with grill brush. Dip wad of paper towels in oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate. Grill asparagus, turning once, until just tender and caramelized, 2 to 5 minutes per side (move asparagus as needed to ensure even cooking). Transfer asparagus to platter and serve.