Everyone should have a few basic recipes that will make a cocktail party feel posh. Sesame Pancetta Asparagus Sticks make any party feel posh.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 12 asparagus spears (trimmed to 5-inches)
- 12 slice pancetta
- 2 cup vegetable oil (or more for frying depending on the size of vessel)
- coarse sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 12 bamboo skewers (optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Place the flour, eggs and sesame seeds in separate shallow bowls at least 5-inches in diameter. Wrap each spear of asparagus with pancetta, leaving the tip exposed.
Heat the oil in medium straight-sided skillet over medium heat until it register 350 degrees F. on a deep fry or candy thermometer.
Dredge the wrapped asparagus spears in flour, shaking off the excess. Carefully roll the pancetta-wrapped section in the egg; coat that section with sesame seeds.
Fry in the hot oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt. Thread the spears from their bottoms lengthwise onto bamboo skewers (optional). Serve warm or at room temperature.