Ethiopian Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil or vegan butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 green chili, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp cloves powder
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped, 1.5 loaded cups
- 1/2 head of cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
Adapted from veganricha.com
In a large skillet, add 1 tsp oil and heat at medium. Add garlic, ginger, chili, and onion. Mix, cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cumin, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper. Mix and cook for 2 minutes to infuse the oil.
Add the carrots, potato and mix well. Add cabbage and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix well, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir once in between.
Add 1/4 tsp or more salt, and 1 tsp olive oil. Mix in, reduce heat to low-medium. Cover and Cook for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Serve hot with Ethiopian flat bread Injera and lentil wat, ethiopian greens(gomen wat)