Lemon Pudding Cake
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups 2 percent milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon rind (rind of one lemon)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- in a large bowl whisk together 1 cup sugar, with flour and salt
- in a separate large bowl, whisk milk, butter and egg yolks
- stir milk mixture into flour mixture
- whisk in lemon rind and juice and set aside
- in separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form add remaining sugar, one Tbsp. at a time, until stiff but still moist peaks form
- fold beaten egg whites into lemon mixture to ensure batter stays light and fluffy.
- scrape mixture into a greased 8" square glass baking dish
- place glass baking dish in larger shallow pan
- pour in enough hot water to come halfway up sides of glass baking dish
- bake in 350 degree oven until cake is light golden, 45 min.
- remove from water bath and let glass baking dish cool on a rack for 10 min.
- spoon into serving dishes
- garnish with whipped cream.