Creole Soup with Ham and Crawfish
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 6 ounce pkg. crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels ( about 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cajun seasoning
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 12 ounce bottle lager beer
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 8 ounce bottles clam juice
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped tass ham or andouille sausage (about 12 ounces)
- 1 pound crawfish or peeled medium shrimp (frozen crawfish tails can be used thawed)
- 1 tbsp. whole grain mustard
- hot pepper sauce
Heat oil in head large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and all bell peppers, sauté until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, stir 1 minute. Add mushrooms, corn, cajun seasoning and cayenne. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add beer, boil 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and clam juice; bring to boil.
Meanwhile, melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add flour, stir until mixture darkens slightly, about 3 minutes. Whisk butter mixture into soup. Simmer soup until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Do Ahead Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cool, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before continuing.
Add ham, crawfish, mustard to soup, cook until crawfish is cooked and soup is heated through, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.