Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
A delicious and easy salad made with savory bacon dressing and fresh baby spinach. Use freshly picked spinach for best taste
- 8 cups torn fresh baby spinach leaves (10 ounces) (7 ounces for 2 people)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup medium red onion, thinly sliced or green onions
- 1-1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Red wine vinegar, or herb flavored vinegar
- 5 pieces of thick cut bacon, sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 hard cooked egg,chopped
- # Apple wedges, or croutons (optional)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
In a large skillet, sear bacon over medium heat until crisp and brown. Remove bacon from skillet. Drain oil leaving only 2 tablespoons (add olive oil if necessary) of bacon grease in pan.
Add the onion and garlic. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until tender but not brown.
Stir in sugar, vinegar and bouillon granules and black pepper into bacon drippings over medium high heat for 2 minutes. This is our dressing mixture.
Reheat bacon pieces to skillet with dressing mixture and mix well.
In a large bowl, toss spinach with sliced red onion. Set aside.
Pour bacon dressing mixture over spinach and onion. Toss the salad to coat and wilt slightly.
Divide spinach salad between two plates. Top with chopped eggs. Serve immediately. For two persons.
You can add sliced apple wedges and croutons to the salad.