Old Fashioned Raspberry Pie
The perfect, old-fashioned raspberry pie.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup lard (can use shortening, but lard makes it more flaky)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- very cold water, about 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cups raspberries (3 - 6oz packages)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from ohsweetbasil.com
1. Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Chop the butter into 1/4" pieces and toss into the flour. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until pea-sized pieces remain.
2. Mix together the egg, and vinegar in a glass measuring cup. It should be around 1/4 cup all mixed together. Now add the very cold water until it makes 1/2 cup. Slowly add a few tablespoons at a time to the flour mixture and using a fork, whisk into the flour.
3. Cut the dough ball into two pieces. Lay a little saran wrap out and place each piece of dough on the plastic wrap, and wrap tightly. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to rest.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Gently place the rolling pin at one end of the dough and pull the edge up over the pin and roll over the remaining dough so it's wrapped around the rolling pin. Carefully unroll the dough over the pie dish, lifting the edges and allowing the dough to fall into the bottom of the plate rather than stretching and pushing into place.
1. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and berries in mixing bowl. Fold gently to combine. Pour into pastry and top with 2 tbsp butter.
2. Place top pastry over berries and seal and cut slits in top.
3. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, and then reduce temperature to 375 for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
You'll also love
- Grilled Seafood Pasta Fra Diavolo 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Zucchini and Corn Veggie Burgers 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Lemon Tiramisu Trifle 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Fruity Orange Fluff 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Cranberry Smoothie Recipe 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Fresh Squeezed Lemonade with... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Creamy Lemon Raspberry Pie 3.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Sour Cream Raspberry Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)