Roasted Pork And Caramelized Onion Filling
- 5 pounds bone-in pork butt - (to 5 1/2 lbs) untrimmed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 pound queso Fresco cheese or any meltable white
- cheese/ such as Monterey Jack
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place in a medium roasting pan and add 1/2 cup of water. Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue to cook for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions are caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool completely. When the pork is cool, remove any excess fat and the bone. Shred the meat into bite-size pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine the pork, onions, chilies and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
This recipe yields about 3 1/2 cups.