Tofu Pumpkin Pie With Pecan Surprises And Tofu Creme
- PASTRY DOUGH:
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup corn oil less may be needed
- 1/4 cup cold rice milk or water
- PECAN SURPRISE:
- 1/3 cup barley malt or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Whole toasted pecans for garnish
- PUMPKIN FILLING:
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 can pumpkin puree - (16 oz) (do not use fresh pumpkin because it is too watery)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon barley malt or molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- OPTIONAL TOPPING:
- Tofu Whipped Creme (see recipe)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie plate.
Mix the flour, salt and oil thoroughly, using a fork to incorporate the ingredients. Slowly add the rice milk and stir to form a stiff dough. Gather it into a ball and knead for 2 minutes. Roll out thinly between sheets of waxed paper to form a 10-inch circle. Lay it over the prepared pie plate, pressing it down to eliminate any air pockets. Crimp edges. Prick the pastry with a fork and bake for 10 minutes. Allow the crust to completely cool before filling.
Pecan Surprise: Combine the sweetener and corn oil in a saucepan and cook until foamy. Quickly stir in the pecans. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pie crust and set aside at room temperature.
Pumpkin Filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor. Process for about 3 minutes. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 50 minutes. Garnish the edge of the pie with whole toasted pecans. Let the pie cool and serve with a dollop of Tofu Whipped Creme, if desired.
This pie is also delicious served chilled, allowing the pie to rest about 10 minutes after you pull it from the refrigerator before eating insures optimum flavor.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (886 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (312 Votes)
- Zucchini Chips 4.5/5 (197 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (192 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Pumpkin Dessert 4.5/5 (181 Votes)